Here is what you need to know when transferring a device on the Sigfox cloud.
Please be advised that transferring a device to a device type associated with a contract originating from a different order will cause the irremediable loss of its token. Please refer to the Token information section of this article for additional information.
An overview of the device and token lifecycle is provided in the dedicated article.
A device is part of a device type, and as such may be using a token from a contract. A device can be transferred from one device type to another. These device types may belong to the same group or to distinct groups.
Depending on the origin and destination device types, you will either have to use the New or Transfer features.
If the device remains under the same group hierarchy, the Transfer feature must be used. Single transfers can be operated from the device information page, batch transfers can be operated from the Device tab.
If the device is transferred to another group hierarchy, the New feature must be used. Single and batch registrations can be operated from the Device tab.
Dedicated API endpoints documentation is also available here: API documentation
The New feature will always cause the ongoing token to be lost.
the Transfer feature may have different consequences, depending on the token status and the contract used:
- Token state: no token. If a device has not token there is no impact.
- Token in use from Contract A.1 originating from Order A:
- Intra-order and intra-contract: transfer to a device type associated with Contract A.1 is seamless.
- Intra-order and extra-contract: transfer to a device type associated with Contract A.2 originating from Order A causes token A.1 to be definitively lost (token used) and A.2 token, if available, to be in use without further billing impact.
- Extra-order: transfer to a device type associated with Contract B.1 originating from Order B causes the A.1 token to be definitively lost (token used). As soon as the device communicates it will grab a new B.1 token, if available, with consequent billing impact.