Is Subscription automatic renewal applicable for a given contract?
Subscription automatic renewal is only applicable if a contract has an actual subscription duration (i.e. different from "N/A").
If a contract subscription duration is "N/A", then it needs to be set by :
- Editing the subscription duration on the contract (thus changing from "N/A" to the specified date)
- Editing the Contract end date (thus changing from "N/A" to the specified date)
Subscription automatic renewal management
You can configure subscription automatic renewal at device, device type and contract level. A field has been added to these sections when registering and editing, be it a single item edit or a bulk edition.
The possible statuses are:
- Not allowed: disabled at one of the aforementioned levels
- Ended: subscription already expired
- Renewed: renewal already occurred
If the automatic renewal of the subscription is not allowed, a warning message is displayed.
How to be sure that the renewal will be effective
If you want a device to keep communicating after the end of its subscription duration, please perform the following checks:
- If automatic renewal is enabled at device level, then check step 2. Otherwise, no renewal is allowed.
If automatic renewal is enabled at the device type level, then check step 3. Otherwise, no renewal is allowed.
If renewal is allowed at the contract level, automatic renewal will be effective. Otherwise, no renewal is allowed.
The automatic renewal feature is based on two items of a contract:
- Subscription duration
- Communication end date
The subscription duration is a timespan, set in contract's parameters (e.g. one year).
The Communication end date is arbitrarily set when creating a contract (e.g. January 1st, 2021).
As an example, let us consider a contract starting on January 1st, 2018 with a one-year subscription duration and an Communication end date set to January 1st, 2021.
A device is activated on this contract January 1st, 2018. If the subscription automatic renewal has been activated on all levels (as described above). Its information page will display a Token validity of 3 years. In case automatic renewal is disabled at one level the token validity will only be 1 year.
Renewal is checked only once at the end of the subscription duration, and the following rule will apply:
- If the subscription automatic renewal has been activated on all levels, the device will go on communicating until the communication end date
- If the subscription automatic renewal is disabled at one level, the device will switch Off contract at the next message reception